Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: nedi and Zabbix  (Read 7222 times)

misch

• View Profile
nedi and Zabbix
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Hi,

Zabbix is quite a good network monitoing tool I thought about combining nedi and Zabbix. All devices that nedi discovered could be automatically configured in Zabbix to be monitored. Zabbix offers a JASON - API.

Is it possible to write some  scripts to use the strength of nedi to discover devices with the power of Zabbix to monitor it?

Since I am not an experienced programmer I would need some help starting the job.

Greetings,

Michael. 

harry

• View Profile
Re: nedi and Zabbix
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
Hi,
Have you used NEDI to it's full capability..? check the monitoring options, configure it with your email address and see the result.
Nedi has good monitoring capability  and detailed reporting, with less resource it is quick compare to any other tool available in market.

Is there anyone who disagree to my observation?

misch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:09 AM »
Hi,

nedi is EXTREMLY cool for the discovery. But I would not use it as a monitoring system. Or how do you check the packets dropped by a firewall? Or the number of mails rejected on the MTA? There is no alerting process with escalations included. So as far as I can judge, you need both: nedi for discovery and a full blown monitoring system. Now it comes to the interfaces between both.

Michael.

jschlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
I agree with misch.  I use nedi for the discovery and inventory, config backup, etc.  But zabbix is far more granular as a monitoring tool.  I use zabbix to snmp monitor in realtime, (as opposed to the 1 hour nedi discovery).  Zabbix is what I use to generate alerts, escalations, outages, etc.

Was thinking of starting a project nedi2zabbix which would dump device list of the nedi DB and import to zabbix using some type of standard monitoring templates depending on the device.  I've already written some stuff in ruby to do a similar task where it dumped virtual servers and application pools from F5 LTM's and imported into zabbix using the ruby lib zbxapi.  I don't think it would be too difficult to do similar export from nedi into zabbix.

Right now I'm in a new job and I've used nedi to get inventory and control over 200+ devices.  I want to take it a step further and get those devices into zabbix for operational monitoring.  I could just labor through importing 200+ devices to zabbix manually but I think it would be much more interesting and useful to the community to created an automated tool to do the work.  First iteration would be very basic and just import all nedi devices into zabbix with some very basic monitors like cpu, mem, interface stats (errors, discards, traffic in, traffic out) and some thresholds and alerts.

Thoughts?

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
NeDi was designed to just make sure the devices are alive and collect everything else via syslog (and traps, if you have to). The usual enterprise networking needs, I'd say...

However, I have some interesting new ideas on the roadmap!
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
jschlegel,

I would be interested in helping test your Nedi2Zabbix tool.  Like Remo said, real-time monitoring is not currently a feature of Nedi.  I know there is some Cacti integration for better graphing of interface utilization, but I haven't used it yet.

Let me know if you throw something together and want some testers.  I haven't used Zabbix, but I have been following it.

Thanks!

Tristan
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!