Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NeDi 1.0.8 Progress  (Read 73257 times)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: NeDi 1.0.8 Progress
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
No really, I actually like the idea and don't need to maintain them in parallel. But I'm worried about copyright issues (a quick look at the general MS visio stencil license states that redistribution is not allowed).

As I plan to add a rackview, this would really top it off. Ok putting modules into the right places of chassis would be the icing of the cake...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
Hmmm.... they probably don't want it to compete with ciscoworks. :(
It was a good idea while it lasted.

Al

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »
Wlan controller support (mainly HP-MSM, Cisco and Aruba) - Yay, that'll be excellent!

rskjels

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
If i may be so bold as to come with a suggestion, since Nedi 1.0.8 is geared towards a enterprise networks.
I would like to se the use of the SNMP location string format to be more flexible. Right now there is :

Region;City;Building;Floor;[Room;][Place within room;][Whatever additional info you want]

I would like to group them first as Customer (or organization entity), then country, region, city etc.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
Unfortunately my location format hits the limit on some devices already. I actually need to look at shortening the string and have the full location entered in Loced...

But how about the contact field? IMHO it doesn't make sense to put the same info on all devices. The network guys know they're responsible for their switches  ;) I'm also thinking of the user view (in User-Accounts) which can easily link to that.

Alternatively, a Region could be (ab)used to include customer info (e.g. a number?). With that all those not using this field, won't have to reorganize all their location strings...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:26:55 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:24 AM »
Hello All,
Is there any possibility of Monitoring status of ISDN PRI/BRI modules on 28xx and 38xx Cisco routers...?  with  graph of number of calls in a day from that router.

Cisco switches (all models)should show the power on device status. (Not all the switches report the power.)

Just checking if anyone would be interested in this...
I would also like to see the Nodes (Aruba Wireless) associate with the AP which it is connected to.
Number of users per controller and if possible per AP.
People are talking about Enterprise version. That is all about naming.
We are using this wonderful master piece work since last three years. We have stopped renewing our support contract for "Whats up".  Nedi does Monitoring and management for our network, what else can you ask for?  i.e. it is an enterprise  product.
All other improvement will definitely make it more useful  and can be used with different product range in the market and in a heterogeneous network.

I love NEDI.

eviltrooper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
it would be nice when nedi can deploy new Firwmware to an Switch ^^ :D

;)

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
it would be nice when nedi can deploy new Firwmware to an Switch ^^ :D

;)

Buy CiscoWorks, is sooooooooooooooooo cheap!!!!  :P

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
Darn, I should start making money then? Hope with 1.0.8 nedi will actually replace other tools more officially and not kept hidden as a "secret weapon"  ;)
-Remo

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
It's the best free "secret weapon" I've found in my 10ish years networking.
Keep it up!

185 devices monitored.
Mostly cisco shop, with some MDS switches, and a couple of foundrys.
I wish I had more time to include firewalls and packet shapers into it. (not sure if the OIDs are supported though)

Love it.
Mark

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
Cool  8)

BTW eviltrooper, I've thought about FW update, but doing this safely on different vendors and models is  ??? :( :'(

I resort to writing the necessary commands into an editor and paste them into several terminals at once. I did several 100 switches this way and was sure each device went well...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:27:16 PM by rickli »
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
Remo, I totally agree with you!

CiscoWorks (now called LMS by Cisco, LAN Management System) do this job, but is painfull even with a so integrated product!
Some times (most of them) the best way is do it is "by hand" and "one by one". For example, if a 3570 stack update fails on one switch, you may have an uncontrolled situation! And even LMS is not always able to distiguish this situation, or fail update!

Anyway, a way to keep a local repository of installed firmwares, grabbed directly from devices (TFTP ???), and organized version by version, may be useful. So, you need only a TFTP server (o daemon) to distribute firmware updates (downloaded from manufacturer support site) or downgrade if you have any problem with new firmware version.

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:09 PM »
Tx for the feedback  8) NeDi can fill this gap with System-Files. Uploading images should be fairly easy through the GUI as well. Maybe an addition in Devices-Write could further assist the process (e.g. perform the download), but leave the rest to the admin...
-Remo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
Ooops, guess I'll need to fix this, if staying with OpenBSD:

n7dev:~#/var/nedi/moni2.pl -v
This Perl not built to support threads
-Remo

fblank

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:41 AM »
I would love to see a way to check and report on compliant configurations up against a policy. The policy would consist of regexes indicating a valid configuration by device type ex. switch / ap / router / etc.