Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NeDi 1.0.8 Progress  (Read 69027 times)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
NeDi 1.0.8 Progress
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
With all the groundwork laid in the previous version, the new development is geared towards enterprise networks. Amongst many other ideas I want to pursue the following:

• IPv6 support
  • Parallel discovery and monitoring
  • Wlan controller support (mainly HP-MSM, Cisco and Aruba)
  • Discards, broadcast and status change added to interfaces & reports added
  • Rackview and better documentation support in Topo-Table
  • Using crypt instead of md5 to hash pw (Sorry all pw need to be reset!)
  • Timezone support for users (we'll see with daylight saving, if it really works!)
  • Generate weekly summary of new nodes and devices as a chat message (what else would be interesting?)
  • Added snapshots, to go back in time or even browse another nedi-db without affecting production.  Screenshot shows the new snapshot module, with a snapshot actually activated (no N logo as a reminder)
  • 95% info on traffic graphs (only single interfaces!)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:47:29 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

redpineapple

• View Profile
Re: NeDi 1.0.8 Progress
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
+1 Parallel monitoring

Maybe, more custom oids that can be graphed instead of only 1.

vtur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
HI
What about BGP  view and monitor ? :-)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Can you elaborate a bit? At least Topo-Routes lets you see the routing table, but this is only intended for campus routing...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

vtur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
Hi
I mean the view state of the BGP or OSPF neighbors on routers in Devices-Status page.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »
I got an interesting contribution, which suggests inline Device-Writer functions. This could be an application for it as well. Unless there are some OIDs to use?
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »
Hi Remo, I don't want to stress you...

Have you evaluated a way to "move" a device under Stock when it become substituted or voluntarily removed, keeping all information, without the need to delete it from "online" database?
I mean: currently, if I remove a switch from LAN and put it storehouse, even if "copy" it in Stock, it remains in other pages as a "failing" device.
I think that, if I "move" it into Stock, is a good think if it will be no more shown ad "failing" but remains in database, so, if I reintroduce it somewhere, even with different hostname, NeDi can warn me of a kind ok "duplicated" device, and I can remove it (manually ? automatically ?) from Stock.

Another thing: there is a way to put an "out of order" device in a "not failed" status? May be nice that, if it become again working (after repair), it  will be restored as monitored (not only by moni, but even by discovery).

I don't know if I asked too much  :-[ , but even more, if I made myself clear, english is not my native language...  :(  ???

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
Now if a device gets discovered its status and comment will be updated, if it's in stock. What would you like to retain, if you delete it in Devices-Status? I could think of generating a different event, if a serial was kept in stock prior discovery.

If you wish to temporarily remove a device from monitoring, just select (None) as test in Monitoring-Setup..
-Remo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
Another topic, I want to add some properties to the .defs. E.g. height in RU, whether it's stackable (preferrably an OID providing stack info). What else can you think of?

I realize there will be multiple CPUs and MEM statistics to be gathered. Also an option to graph multiple custom values would be nice, but I hope you agree parallelizing and IPv6 deserve more attention for now...
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
Now if a device gets discovered its status and comment will be updated, if it's in stock. What would you like to retain, if you delete it in Devices-Status? I could think of generating a different event, if a serial was kept in stock prior discovery.

If you wish to temporarily remove a device from monitoring, just select (None) as test in Monitoring-Setup..

I try to explain my ideas: If I have a particular device layout, and I upgrade it for example substituting a couple of 24 port with a (brand new or stocked) 48 port switch, if I don't divest them, I like to keep relevant asset information, so "stocking" the old ones seems a good way. Currently I need to remove them from discovered, else at everey diiscovery I see  faulty devices. Lately, if I reuse them, they remain in stock or NeDi keep care of it?

Another (i think) uselful think is a possibility to put temporarily "on line" my stock devices (attached to net, not operational), do a discovery (of something similar) to capture HW and SW configuration (and serial number, of course), and "archive" it (in stock, again?)

My other question (instead of asking for a new feature, that may be also avaliable in other ways) concerns broken devices. You suggest that I  should keep them in discovered database (even if shown as failing, that is not always nice), but in case exclude it from monitored by "moni"?
I've been thinking that a kind of manual "on hold" until discovered again may be kind. Am'I a "sophist"  ???  :-[

redpineapple

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
I have been experimenting with SNMP traps as some of the equipment I have doesn't support syslogs.

I installed snmptt (on ubuntu this is done by using sudo apt-get install snmptt).  Attached are the files used for a working configuration.  (The snmptt.conf file is too large to post!)

Currently I use a rudimentary viewer but what I want to do is create a Monitoring-Traps.php based on Monitoring-Events.php  After that I'll try and do a count per hour of a trap per device instead of storing each trap.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
Good stuff. I put it in contrib. You can try posting the big file as zip or mail it to me and I'll include it as well...
-Remo

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:13 PM »
How about adding image links to the def files, so when the topo maps are drawn they come up with the correct image of the switch/router?
This can be used in the device list also instead of w2b3 etc images?
Maybe keep the current codes for ones without images?

(And also a way to upload them via GUI to the nedi server.)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
Basically you want to remoe my handcrafted device icons with something like visio stencils?  :o ??? ::)

Not a bad idea...they are about 10 years old after all! But this might be a tedious process unless it can be scripted. Another question would be the copyright...

I'm willing to pursue the idea, if the community helps out...
-Remo

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
I think your handcrafted icons have a place where they are but if there is an image available for the device then it uses that instead.
Can probably screen cap the ones from visio....?