Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NeDi 1.0.7 Progress  (Read 44153 times)

pc_sg

• View Profile
Re: NeDi 1.0.7
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
Hi Remo.
My Nedi 1.0.5 becomes corrupted (after some years of almost continuos service)  :(
Had reinitialized all the tables...

So I'm thinking to update to the latest release. But now I'm not sure which is the "state of the art".
1.0.7 or 1.0.6 is more stable ?
Or (as I thought until now) is better to wait next RC (or finale release) ?
No risk to trash away tables ?
And I'm feeling tempted to try/use NeDiVa !
But I don't understand on which versione of Nedi is based on...

Any advice?

Thanks!!!

P.C.

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »
The current version of Nediva 0.0.32 uses Nedi 1.0.6.   I would love to get some testers and input on how I can improve the appliance.

Even if you are running an older version of Nedi, it is fairly easy to upgrade to the newest version.  This usually requires re-initializing the database, but it sounds like you already lost your historical data so it should not be a problem.

Cheers!

Tristan
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »
I think I have got to the bottom of the missing traffic graphs in my 1.0.7 install.  Were these working for anyone?

This was a completely clean install with the entire nedi directory deleted and installed from the 1.0.7 archive, databases deleted and all RRDs generated by nedi.pl

Looking through the page source, I found that it is attempting to show the graph, but it is failing.  Picking one interface at random, it is linking to
http://..../nedi/inc/drawrrd.php?dv=IT&if[]=Gi0%2F7&s=2&t=trf which looks correct.

Having looked at the drawrrd.php, I see it supports a debug parameter, so tried browsing to:
http://..../nedi/inc/drawrrd.php?dv=IT&if[]=Gi0%2F7&s=2&t=trf&debug=1

which gave:

rrdtool graph - -a PNG -w80 -h52 -g -s-1d -L5
   DEF:inoct1=/var/nedi/rrd/IT/Gi0%2F7.rrd:inoct:MAX AREA:inoct1#8b6:"Gi0/7 in \l"
   DEF:outoct1=/var/nedi/rrd/IT/Gi0%2F7.rrd:outoct:MAX LINE2:outoct1#583:"Gi0/7 out\l"

Again, looks OK.

If I try to run rrdtool with those parameters directly from the shell, it fails:
ERROR: the RRD does not contain an RRA matching the chosen CF

While I'm not an RRD guru, I was able to parse the parameters and it looks like it is wanting to use the MAX consolidation function, yet the RRD was created only with  (from rrdtool info)
rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[1].cf = "AVERAGE"

Hunting further, changed MAX to AVERAGE in GraphTraffic() in libgraph.php and the graphs now show up.

It looks as though that was recently changed to MAX as the previous AVERAGE setting was present but commented out, and a TODO tag.  I don't know whether MAX is a better representation than AVERAGE - I guess it would show the actual traffic peaks better.  If so though, presumably nedi.pl needs to be modified so that it creates the RRD with the correct settings?

Steve.

tristanbob

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Nice work Steve!  I am not a programmer, but it sounds like you have successfully identified the cause of the problem, which will help Remo.   Once he gets back from his vacation and conference, I'm sure he will respond when he has a moment.

Cheers!

Tristan
Please visit "Other"->"Invoices" on your NeDi installation to make an annual contribution and support Nedi!

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 06:21:07 PM »
Yupp, back from my travels! Will post some news soon. I did mention this further up :) http://forum.nedi.ch/index.php?topic=1033.msg3926#msg3926
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
Doh.  Did look for info on this and everything... ;)

Steve.

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »
Hi to all!

Update on my production NeDi:

I've updated it to NeDi 1.0.7 (i.e. nedi-267.tgz). No too much effort to correct con file. Only some new parameters are not clear...
Anyway, after installation of a missing package (looking for similar error in NeDi forum is a medicine!), it runs !
Of course, reinitalized NeDi at all...
I'm applying Steffen way of filtered discovery, so I can use a parallel schedule of my 9 sites at every 15 minutes.
I've seen that before start with a regular scheduling in this way, is needed to discover one by one every seed device. Then filtered discovery runs perfectly and find everything.
Then I've patched libgraph.php to graph AVERAGE instead of MAX (else no graph at all...)

Anyway sometime, on random discovery (I do them always with verbose flag) this error appears:

Code: [Select]
TopRRD       ------------------------------------------------------------------
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Mixing of GROUP columns (MIN(),MAX(),COUNT(),...) with no GROUP columns is illegal if there is no GROUP BY clause at /var/nedi/inc/libdb-msq.pm line 1180.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Mixing of GROUP columns (MIN(),MAX(),COUNT(),...) with no GROUP columns is illegal if there is no GROUP BY clause at /var/nedi/inc/libdb-msq.pm line 1180.
And discovery doesn't complete...

Redoing again same discovery (more ol less later) usually ends without this error.

May be related to parallel discovery?
Any way to avoid this?

Another anomaly:
In Reports-Combination, Monitoring, in the "Avaliability" part of the page, on the right side under Region this errors are shown:
Warning: asort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/nedi/html/inc/librep.php on line 1796

Warning: asort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/nedi/html/inc/librep.php on line 1797

Warning: asort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/nedi/html/inc/librep.php on line 1798

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/nedi/html/inc/librep.php on line 1801
Under City:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/nedi/html/inc/librep.php on line 1817Under Bilding:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/nedi/html/inc/librep.php on line 1833and similar under the "Incident Distribution" part, with different line indicated, of course.

Something I can do to solve?

TIA

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
I hope it's not the parallel discovery, but I haven't seen this before. Hope you can narrow it down somehow?

What do your location strings look like?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

raider82

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
I also get these errors:

But only in version 1.0.6. not in 1.0.7. Both installations do not use parallel discovery, but specific confs and seedlists. Might be tied to the -u or -U options, maybe also -B.

However, it seems that still everything is imported.

Another thing that drives me crazy ;-)
If I discover Nodes in a layer 2 environment, I see each IP phone in
- the mac address-table of the core switch
- the arp table of the core switch
- port-security of the access switch
NeDi then gives metrics 4352 to both the core's link to the access switch and to the phones actual access port. It concludes that the phone must be on the uplink, however, that is an incorrect decision. Same with clients that are connected to the IP phones.
That seems unlogical to me, especially since the access switch sees the phone also via CDP. So in the access switches interface overview, I see all the phones, but in the node overview, they are connected to the core.
All phones are in VLAN 2 which is available on the core and access switch.
Has anyone solved this issue in a similar environment or is it a matter of coding?
IFName in the def files is available and working.
Here is an example with debugging information I entered in NeDi:
NODE:macmacmacmac sep00000 M4352

Calc: NSD: 0 - CHN: 0 - RTR: 0 - LNK: 1
IF: Gi4/29
Met: 4096
access Gi4/29 M4352

Calc: NSD: 0 - CHN: 0 - RTR: 0 - LNK: 1
IF: Gi2/1
Met: 4096
core Gi2/1 M4352

NewMet: 4352
= core Gi2/1
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:13:55 PM by raider82 »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »
1. Yeah some mysql versions had this problem, but should be fixed in 1o7. Sorry pc_sg, I misinterpreted your error message!  :-[ Try todays version...

2. This is 1oh7, right? If I interpret your debug info correctly the phones are not recognized as nosnmpdevs. nedi.pl tries to discover them, right? Have a look at nedi.conf, I'd assume it should work much better if that is fixed. I'll release rc1 today, so this might be worth a try as well...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:06:17 PM by rickli »
-Remo

raider82

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
Hi Remo,
thanks for the quick answer again.
It happens in 1.0.6 and 1.0.7. Phones do not appear as devices. Config is:
nosnmpdev       ^ATA|AIR-LAP11|MAP-|AP(\s|_)Controlled
descfilter      LaserJet|JETDIRECT|HP-UX|Linux|IP\s(Phone|Telephone)

Please remember, that also desktop PCs connected to the VoIP phones are affected. That's why I think it is not related to these lines, maybe some other part of the configuration?

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
I hope it's not the parallel discovery, but I haven't seen this before. Hope you can narrow it down somehow?

What do your location strings look like?

snmp-server location IT;NE;Edificio Principale;P.Terra;Sottoscale;Armadio A6;(sotto ICT)

May be relate to some device without location defined? They are shown as "-;-;-"
Or there is something (or soem character) to avoid in this field ?

Paolo

Update: upgraded to 1.0.7 rc1 (i.e. nedi-338.tgz) and now all discoveries ends with:
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Mixing of GROUP columns (MIN(),MAX(),COUNT(),...) with no GROUP columns is illegal if there is no GROUP BY clause at /var/nedi/inc/libdb-msq.pm line 1183.
I've seen an old similar issue
Topic: Error after discovery "DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Mixing of GROUP columns"
but is not clear if there is a way to solve this issue.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:56:52 AM by pc_sg »

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
pc_sg: thought I caught this error in the latest version (see rc1)

raider: Ypu should have something like "nosnmpdev       ^SEP", otherwhise the connection to the phone gets interpreted as regular link (metric 4096 + 256 for ethernet)
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
pc_sg: thought I caught this error in the latest version (see rc1)
I'll wait for any new release.
If I can help you in some way to debug it, don't hesitate to ask!

Paolo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
The wait is over, chech the download section...
-Remo