Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NeDi 1.0.7 Progress  (Read 44540 times)

raider82

• View Profile
Re: NeDi 1.0.7
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
Thanks again for your quick answers. I have tried to set the rrd value as close as possible now. That means I got some percentage of deviation, but that's no big deal.

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
Having some strangeness with 1.0.7.  However it might just be me.

First of all, the upgrade came up with a 'write error' when done through the web.  However, most of the files seem to have been replaced - nedi.pl is v1.0.7, the GUI has fixed the warnings so assume that is updated, and it also overwrote the config files (doh! - had ticked the backup box over and over but eventually gave up as it appeared to be failing).  Fortunately had a backup from when I upgraded to 1.0.6 so I used that as a reference and just re-setup with the new config...  No idea why it failed, had checked file ownership and permissions.

However, assuming (dangerously) that the error was irrelevant now that 1.0.7 was on, initialized the database, reconfigured and ran.  Switches were all detected and being monitored all weekend.  Have just noticed though that none of the switches have any interfaces - all just say 'None' where I'd expect the interface table to be.  It is listing neighbours and VLANs.  Also, Devices->Interfaces shows nothing.
It also does show all the nodes, but while some show as being where I'd expect, others appear to be associated with uplink ports on other switches rather than the switch they are connected to.

Any suggestions?  Did the error on upgrading indicate that something really did go wrong even if it couldn't tell me what or why (a more relevant error message would be a good addition!) and all appeared to be correct?  Am I better off saving the config, then deleting the whole thing and starting from scratch?

Steve.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
Have a look at my post further up. Try -v until rc1 comes out in a few...

What's your upload max filesize in php.ini? Should be at least 4M for nedi.tgz...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »
Doh.  Missed that post - I did look through them all, honest.  Just running it now - seems to have done the trick!  Yes, I had to up the php upload size - at first it was failing with a 'read error', but after that switched to 'write error' instead.

Steve.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
No worries and I'm aware of the read and write errors not telling that much...there aren't too many words in those language files yet, but it's getting better ;)

Can you betatesters check, whether the links show traffic correctly and don't add up too much?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:01:19 PM by rickli »
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

raider82

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:43 AM »
Can you betatesters check, whether the links show traffic correctly and don't add up too much?
I got some interfaces that report over 300% of usage. However their number is very small. Need to do more investigation on those.

What I recognized is that for many devices the color of the interfaces in the web GUI is gone and the icon for live traffic is not visible any more.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
Ok, I'll look into it again...

What you're observing might be a new feature. If the device was not found within last discovery (lastseen), it won't be contacted. This is to avoid looking at  a device, which has been replaced by a new one with the same IP. However the calculation for that was lousy, but is fixed in the next version to avoid "greying" out active devices...
-Remo

raider82

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
but is fixed in the next version to avoid "greying" out active devices...
Thanks. I was searching within the defs, since I changed those of the affected devices - interesting coincidence ;-)

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
Hmm.  I'm still seeing some strangeness going on with 1.0.7.  The interfaces all show up, but nodes still aren't in the right places.  I initialized the database again to clear it out after starting to run it with -v.
I have one machine here in my office that is showing up as connected to a port-channel interface on our core switch, not on the switch that it is connected to.  'show mac-address-table' on the switch in question shows it as connected to Fa0/25.  Looking through the output from nedi, the address is not being picked up from this particular switch, yet other nodes are.

Also it is doing odd things with another port channel on the core switch.  Nedi is reporting the 'info' for that Po interface:
"Port-channel2 MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:LODGE MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary MAC:Bursary"  - it is a port channel consisting of two Gi interfaces to the switch called 'Bursary'.

The info on the port-channel at the other end reports correctly:
"Port-channel1 MAC:cmain MAC:cmain"

Any ideas?
Steve.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Can you check whether the MAC is ever found on that switch? Can you do a manual snmpwalk and compare? I'd understand if it ages out, thus nedi doesn't learn it properly, but not if it never catches it. The metric of that node is around 6000 or so, right?
-Remo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
FYI, rc1 is very close! Some interesting new features made it in there as well...

I did some tests with a potential NeDiU7 (NeDi 1.0.7 on Ubuntu), but the VM ended up at 400MB packed! On the other hand it takes about 10 minutes to get NeDi running on an existing Ubuntu system, thus I'll stick with NeDiO7 (NeDi on OpenBSD) for time being...
-Remo

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
Hi Rickli, very good news about 1.0.7 RC1 !

On Ubuntu, I know that even Server release is a little "big" in size.
This is why I choosed Debian, that is also usually very stable, and I think, for a simple server like NeDi, more than enough!
Currently I use Debian also for some small SMTP relay server; two hundreds  MBytes in size, including a lot of logs.
And "rock steady"!

P.C.

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »
Can you check whether the MAC is ever found on that switch? Can you do a manual snmpwalk and compare? I'd understand if it ages out, thus nedi doesn't learn it properly, but not if it never catches it. The metric of that node is around 6000 or so, right?
It certainly is showing (3 times) in the snmpwalk output, however I couldn't find what OID you were walking to get the address table, so not sure if it was showing up in the right place, but one matched the initial part of the only place that another MAC showed up, and that MAC is being detected and associated with the port that is plugged into on the same switch: SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.17.4.3.1.1....

Have noticed though, that most of the switches don't have addresses on their interfaces.  Also, none of them show any traffic graphs if I enable that checkbox in the device list, although I can display the live traffic graph fine.

Finally, I'm occasionally getting an error from libmon.pl at the end of the nedi.pl run, if it feels it needs to send an email.  Doesn't do it every run.  However, it hasn't done it the last few runs and can't remember exactly what the error is... will keep an eye on that and check not just a daft config thing.

Perhaps I should just nuke and recreate from a clean install!

Steve.

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
Have now just installed from a fresh download of nedi-267 and re-initialised the database rather than use the in-place upgrade from 1.0.6 in case that was the cause of my issues.

Still seeing much the same - most of the ports on most of the switches are not showing a population (although some nodes are showing up on interfaces on our core switch), and no ports on any switch offer any traffic graphs besides the live graph.  The switches are graphing temperature, CPU etc, and there are rrd files for each of the interfaces that are being updated when nedi.pl runs.

I'm running nedi.pl with options -vpob.  Has something changed with the options?  All of these were working with 1.0.6 but I may well have missed something in re-creating nedi.conf

All of my switches are Ciscos - 3750s at the core, mostly 2960s with a couple of 2900s and 2950s.

Any ideas?  I hadn't realised quite how often being able to tie a node to a port (and therefore a room) is useful!

Ta,
Steve.

sjwk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
May have cracked this and think it was something missing in the config file.  After changing the value for getfwd from 'dyn' to 'sec' (when I saw it I'm pretty sure I remember needing to change this before), certainly the node I was checking against is showing up now on the correct interface.  There are still a number of active interfaces with no nodes, but they may populate over time.  Will leave it and have a look tomorrow.

Still no graphs, but one thing at a time! :)

Steve.