Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DEFs and MIBs (and OID)  (Read 6427 times)

pc_sg

• View Profile
DEFs and MIBs (and OID)
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »
Hi to all!

As I've declared in some previous messages, I'm not (enough) skilled to build DEFs, because I've still not found a method to find which is the right OID to put in (some field) of DEFGEN.

Almost all the devices I need to monitor are Cisco Switches, and a few routers (until now).

I know that Cisco has a bunch of MIBs avaliable, but, as I think all of you know, is rather difficult (for me seems impossible) to translate a MIB to an OID without a translation tool.
GetIf needs well made MIBs, else crashes or is unusable. And CISCO ones are not well formatted or incomplete. For example, for a test device, I downloaded from Cisco site ALL the available MIBS for it, as Cisco says. Buta ANY tool I've used to manipulate those MIBs in the best case shows error, else crashes...
I've also tried many MIB Browser, but all of these don't accept Cisco MIBs as they are. And correct them "by hand" is not an option. I suppose I'm not the only one with this trouble.

Can someone give me any useful advice?
Exist somewhere a rookie tutorial to learn how to do it?
Or a real functioning MIB (or OID) browser that can crunch Cisco MIBs?

Thanks anyway in advance for any attention!

P.C. (the dumb one...)

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: DEFs and MIBs (and OID)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »
Guess I'm dumb too, because I never really managed to deal with MIBs properly myself! That's why I decided to introduce simple .def files. Flat, no dependencies, just the minimum information needed to define a device...

I know DefGen is not straight forward, but that's why I'm redoing it as well now. Before it even existed I tried (like you) to walk the standard and enterprise mib (redirecting into a file) and find useful information afterwards. Creating a Vlan like 1717 named tescht helps ;)

Now with close to 400 existing .def files, they could be used to compore the unknown device to similar ones. And that's what the new DefGen will let you do. I also intend to publish some new tutorials (for the Map as well) in the near future.
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:41 PM »
I've been using the cisco mib locator http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/servlet/index
I've spent many hours finding the right mibs/oids for each of the different model switches that we use here.
So far it has been a very manual task..
I'd be interested in a tool that can do this for me. anyone?

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
Hi to all!

To answer ntmark, I know Cisco MIB Locator, but as you have seen, for any Cisco device you can download ALL relevant MIBs, but after then, what you can do with it? There is not a Cisco MIB Browser (or handler).

Rickli, I agree, DEFs are simpler, but, as you absolutely know, guess the right OID to put inside it is not easy.
MIBs contains the information, but find the right one is a real trouble, because OID is a number, MIBs is a text. Not mentioning the nightmare of MIB dependencies...

Until now, the most interesting MIB browser I've tried is Tembria SNMP Browser, because it seems to scan ALL possible OID, even the unknown ones, ttah it shown as OID but without an explaining text. But also seems that it lacks adding (without troubles) any other MIB to "handle" those unknown OIDs.

I'm eagerly waiting for the improved DEFs generator!

Ah, Rickli, your 1.0.6 is a great improvement! Thanks So Much!!!
I'm still testing it on a VM build with NeDiO6, but your anticipation on NeDi07 make me craving of try it!

Will include something like a NeDi 1.0.7 release?

Thanks !!!

P.C.

ntmark

• View Profile
    • tvnz.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
Arh,
 I use the SNMP Object Locator to find the OIDs.
I don't download the mibs at all.
Try to find the model, and then the mibs associated with it, then find the particular OIDs you are interested in like interface index, interface alias, etc...

Lots of google.com searches and lots of looking through the cisco online SNMP Object Locator.
Usually if you have a 2950 series cisco switch, other 2950s have the same settings.
Each series of switch has something slightly different, I just look for another one with same series like 3560-24 and copy that to  3560-48 def then change it a little.
But it does take a bit of work to find a new model completely unfortunately.

harry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:21:05 AM »
I am looking for .defs for 2960 's 24 and 48 Port Cisco Switches. Also I am looking for 3560's 24 and 48 Ports switch.

can some one share here.

One Question about ISDN link monitoring.
My requirement is I have 30 sites with cisco  28xx adn 38xx routers. how can I use nedi to define a snmp trap for ISDN service up/down status, or to generate or send an email.

Thanks

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
You can simply configure logging <nedi ip> on the routers. Then add the devices to monitoring either from devices-list (all displayed ones) or devices-status (one by one). Then in monitoring setup enter a string which matches whatever you want to have forwarded. Last but not least enable email (and SMS if your installation supports it) alerting. You can also discard events if you select "delete" instead "forward" before entering a text in Monitoring-Setup.

I guess this also would be worth a tutorial. I add it to my list ;)
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo