Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: backup of Avaya 5698T problem - Longer configuration lines  (Read 2537 times)

ToddMurray

backup of Avaya 5698T problem - Longer configuration lines
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
I have been able to backup the config of a Avaya 5698T via the ./nedi.pl -b -a 10.0.0.3 command
The config is sent to a file in a directory /var/nedi/conf/"switchname"
There is only a new file in this folder if something changes in the config, which makes sense.
When I look at the config I see that some of the configuration lines have carriage returns inserted on some of the longer configuration lines.
See 2011-0808-0000.txt   for this line of configuration for example:
eapol port ALL status authorized traffic-control in-out re-authentication disab
le re-authentication-period 3600 quiet-interval 60 transmit-interval 30 supplic
ant-timeout 30 server-timeout 30 max-request 2

Seems this carriage return causes problems for the switch if I try to load that configuration back in the switch.

Is there a way to increase the maximum characters per line that is backed up, so the carriage returns don't chop up the longer configuration lines?
I am attaching two files to show the difference:
a)what the required configuration format the Avaya switch requires - See 5688T_generated.txt
b)what Nedi 1.0.6 R2 creates during a backup. - See 2011-0808-0000.txt

Thanks in advance
ToddMurray
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:23:57 AM by ToddMurray »

ToddMurray

Re: backup of Avaya 5698T problem - Longer configuration lines
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
I've had second thoughts on trying to use the output from a show run as a backup for a Nortel/Avaya switch.
Seems it's not as easy as with a Cisco device.
Nortel / Avaya switches  bawk at my files because of a checksum problem when uploading the ascii config back on the switch.

I think one way would be to automate a backup of Nortel/Avaya switches to a tftp server. It can be triggered with a few snmp writes to each switch from a nedi script.
The configuration is in binary format, and can latter be restored to the switch easily.

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
Re: backup of Avaya 5698T problem - Longer configuration lines
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
(BTW moved this topic to a NeDi related board again)

Indeed there seems to be a problem with those nasty Escapes! With the upcoming NeDiO7 you'll also get tftp services, which might cover your requirements...
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo