Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Distributed Discovery with NeDi  (Read 2940 times)

studo

Distributed Discovery with NeDi
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »
Hi everyone,

i have a scenario here where i would like to have several NeDi instances running within separate networks. The networks are situated in remote locations, network access between locations is restricted. Therefor a centralized discovery of the whole network won't work. Now the idea ist to have a NeDi instance in every remote location. Information from discovery runs should be written to a central NeDi installation. So that i get a view on the complete network infrastructure from the central NeDi installation.

Has anybody already dealed with such a szenario? My question is how to handle several running discovery scripts that should write into a central database without destroying collected information from the other running instances.

Any hints or experience would be appriciated.
Best regards, studo.

studo

Re: Distributed Discovery with NeDi
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
No one with experience with a distributed setup?

Best regards,

studo

rickli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeDi
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »
Hi Udo

I know some are using parallel discovery (manually using different crontab entries and different borders)...

What you're describing sounds more like independant instances, which sync their DBs with a central one. Dunno if this can be done within mysql, but may be worth a try.

Maybe steffens wants to share some of his experiences?
Please consider Other-Invoices on your NeDi installation for an annual contribution, tx!
-Remo

SteffenS

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
Hello Boys(AND Girls),

not maybe - sure!
This is the idea behind open source!
I want to share my little bit of knowledge with everyone!

Until now, I use a central NeDiO45-Server and many scheduled "nedi.pl"-tasks(for DB/rrd-refresh) in 6-hour-frequency for different sub-nets.
I have realized this by using "nedi.pl -A -U <configfile>"with multiple(33 for now) config-files (different net-filter-definitions for every sub-net within.)
This allow me to read-out the devices (2708 at the moment) is this 6-hour-window.
And with this, I have separate log for every one of this subnet(=country/region).
With Version 1.0.6, this can be done without -U and separate config-files, because the new "-A" option understand such conditions now(Thanks to Remo!).

@ Udo:
Until now, ideas about distributed nedi-cluster are discussed, but not realized - as far as I know.
But feel free to research - this is in my interest,too! ;o)
From my view, scheduled syncs/copies of Database(MySQL for example)-tables and rrd-file to a central NeDi-Server from satellite-NeDi-stations could be a way.
But until now I haven't experience with this - only ideas (discussed with Remo).

If you want, feel free to contact me for talking about.

Greetings @all
Steffen
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:35:22 AM by SteffenS »

pc_sg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
Hi to all!
SteffenS... 2708 Devices! Argh! A BIG job!
Good idea to run different (but concurrent) tasks, with different target (sites ?).

I don't know (I'm not a PERL programmer...) how NeDi scripts talk with MySQL database, but I suppose through TCP/IP.
So, a thought is: if who have a WAN device situation (geographically distributed sites), can install a local copy of NeDi in any site, and schedule discovery (and other) enough frequent.
Who manage "all" sites have two NeDi instances (or one, if enough), One is the "local" and other is the Master.
All remote NeDi communicates both with local and "master" MySql.

I suppose that is not as simple as i wrote, because NeDi not only record collected infos, but also correlate these infos in other tables.
So, I can imagine that the Master one should do some complicate task to coorelate all sites infos.

Am I wrong?
In this case, please excuse me! I'm not a software developer, so I haven't the prerogative to speak about.

Remo, thanks again for your precious work!

P.C.

studo

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:01:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

thank you all very much for this nice input.
I think i will have to test some scenarios myself and then come back with my experience so far.

Best regards
studo